Position: Detention Staff Attorney
Location: Oakland, CA or Brooklyn, NY
Reports to: Legal Director
Deadline: Applications reviewed on a rolling basis, prompt submission strongly encouraged.
Detention Staff Attorney
Transgender Law Center (TLC) is the largest national trans-led organization advocating self-determination for all people. Grounded in legal expertise and committed to racial justice, TLC employs a variety of community-driven strategies to keep transgender and gender nonconforming people alive, thriving, and fighting for liberation. TLC’s legal team works to end the abuses transgender and gender nonconforming (TGNC) people experience in prisons, jails, state hospitals, other forms of detention, and at the hands of law enforcement.
Specific responsibilities of the Detention Staff Attorney include:
- Support TLC’s prison mail program, including reviewing incoming letters and coordinating volunteers to respond with appropriate information, know-your-rights and self-help resources, and referrals.
- Engage in direct advocacy on behalf of incarcerated people by, for instance, calling or sending advocacy letters to specific staff or facilities, assisting people in filing complaints and grievances, running legal clinics at prisons or jails, and identifying other creative solutions.
- Match people who are prepared to file lawsuits against their facilities with pro bono lawyers from our attorney network.
- Develop and draft written resources for people inside prisons, jails and detention including know your rights material and sample legal documents.
- Investigate and develop potential new cases, including corresponding with and meeting with potential clients, finding and reviewing records, and drafting demand letters.
- Develop litigation strategy, managing relationships with co-counsel, perform legal research, and draft briefs.
- Engage in education efforts for community members and attorneys, including speaking at conferences, trainings, and webinars.
- Support the work of the legal team and the organization generally.
The position is full-time and will include some travel and work at nights and on weekends.
- Membership in the bar of one or more states
- At least two years or more of experience practicing law
- Experience with legal or policy advocacy relating to detention or law enforcement
- Familiarity with transgender and gender nonconforming communities
- Experience working with communities of color and transgender communities
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to write clearly and speak in public
- Skill at working collaboratively both within the organization and with other groups
- Strong personal organization and time management skills
- Creativity, professionalism, and good judgment
- Enthusiasm for the work of the organization and its potential
- Willingness to travel and to work long hours as necessary
- Significant litigation experience
- Experience working with pro-bono attorneys
- Spanish language skills
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Employer-paid benefits include medical and dental; matched retirement savings; three weeks’ vacation; and sabbatical program.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Transgender Law Center is proud to be an affirmative action employer. All interested individuals, including people of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or intersex are particularly urged to apply. For more information about Transgender Law Center please visit our website: www.transgenderlawcenter.org.